|buildup duration||3 days|
|buildup orga||1 (MRQ)|
|buildup angels||occasionally 2|
|teardown duration||3 hours|
|teardown orga||1 (myself)|
Put up large billboards with maps of the camp ground. Invite the participants to put stickers and other marks on it, to mark their villages.
ca 150 € / map
3 maps should do. Due to constrained spare time, there will only be 2 maps. The map itself will be professionally printed.
- The design team should have decided upon a color scheme and symbol language, before the the drawing can begin.
- Permits: storm resistance?
- low power / no power
- no network
- Bought wooden panels for the boards, grinded edges and front surface.
- Wallpaper application as a test.
- Get Material from home improvement / hardware store.
- Volunteers need: No help needed for fabrication. 2 volunteers needed for erecting on the camp.
- Time: about 6 weeks of free time.
- TODO: Provide instructions on how to set up the installation on the event site.
- TODO: Throw/give away?
- 2 volunteers needed for teardown.
- TODO: How much time is required?
CCCamp 2015 Experience
MRQ has experience from building one map like this for CCCamp 2015:
What has been done:
- Buy 3 pieces of high density fiberboard (HDF) of approx size 0.9m x 3m.
- Buy White nonwoven wallpaper.
- Buy wooden bars for the frame.
- Apply the wallpaper on the fiberboard. Make take care, that the board can't buckle. Let it dry. https://twitter.com/CCCAC/status/620248621364178944
- Prepare the map on a PC (pan, zoom, rotate).
- Project the map on Wall with a video projector.
- Erect board in front of the wall.
- Paint the map onto the board with brushes and acrylic paint. https://shells.aachen.ccc.de/~mrq/camp-karte/IMG_20150713_014059.jpg
- Take down the map and accidentally rip the separate boards apart (only hold together by the wallpaper).
- Construct a supporting frame out of the wooden bars. Screw the map on the frame.
- Tear down everyting.
- Stuff it into a van. Drive to the camp. https://shells.aachen.ccc.de/~mrq/camp-karte/IMG_6284.JPG
- Build up everything again. Put it at the side of a larger tent. Fix it to the tent with strap fasteners.
- Apply last minute corrections to the layout of the ways, white paint for erasing.
- Spray the names of the tents and amenities onto it with spray paint and stencils.
- Leave a pen and a note “Please feel free to add your logo”.
- Let people populate the map.
- Correct grossly missplaced entries with white paint.
- Remove Rick Astley. Otherwise celebrate freedom of expression.
- Tear down everything after the camp. Drive back to Aachen.
- Construct a wall mount for the map. Hang it on the wall.
- ++ Much better feedback and participation than expected.
- ++ The camp map still is a nice piece of decoration for the CCCAC hackerspace.
- + Acrylic paint is waterproof.
- + Nonwoven wallpaper is durable even in a thunderstorm, but it will bleach in the sun.
- o Apply a bit of white paint as a primer next time. This will counter the bleaching and allow easier white paint erasing.
- - Use a coloured thread to mark the „You are here“ spot. Because people had a difficulties finding it on the cluttered map.
- - The map buckled because of changing humidity. So use many screws to fix in on the frame.
- -- Painting with brush and paint is very very slow. Decide for a better process the next time.